603 N. Lamar Blvd Austin, TX 78703 512-472-5050 Open 9AM - 11PM The largest independent bookstore in Texas!
Books On Our Site May Not Be Available In-Store
Is This Book In Stock? Be Savvy! Check availability details beneath the blue "Add to Cart" button.
Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done (Hardcover)
Email or call for price.
Out of Print
When you understand how the mind works, you can think smarter--and act smarter.
Based on the precepts of cognitive science and drawing on a half century of interdisciplinary studies, Smart Thinking is the first book to reveal a three-part formula that distinguishes Smart Thinking from innate intelligence and shows how memory works, how to learn effectively, and how to use knowledge when you need to get things done.
Beginning with defining the difference between Smart Thinking and innate or raw intelligence, cognitive psychologist Art Markman demonstrates how it is possible to learn Smart Thinking that you can apply to the real world.
This engaging and practical book introduces a three-part formula for Smart Thinking, which demonstrates how anyone can:
- Develop Smart Habits
- Acquire High-Quality Knowledge
- Use High-Quality Knowledge when needed
Smart Thinking explores each part of the "Smart Thinking" formula and provides:
- An understanding of how the mind works and the means to replace self-limiting habits with those that foster Smart Thinking
- Insights into how memory functions and how to improve the quality of what you learn
- Ways to present new information effectively
- Specific techniques for improving your understanding of how the world works
- The ability to define and solve problems by finding the relevant knowledge from any area of expertise and applying it effectively
Drawing on multiple research disciplines, including psychology, artificial intelligence, philosophy, neuroscience, learning sciences, linguistics, anthropology, sociology, and education, Markman provides insights into the functioning of the mind and synthesizes this understanding into practical tools and exercises that develop new skills and achieve personal goals. The book culminates in tips for creating a Culture of Smart to make everyone in an organization more effective.