603 N. Lamar Blvd Austin, TX 78703 | The largest independent bookstore in Texas!
A Deadly Affair at Bobtail Ridge: A Samuel Craddock Mystery (Samuel Craddock Mysteries) (Paperback)
On Our Shelves Now
Other Books in Series
- #1: A Killing at Cotton Hill: A Samuel Craddock Mystery (Samuel Craddock Mysteries) (Paperback): $15.95
- #2: The Last Death of Jack Harbin: A Samuel Craddock Mystery (Samuel Craddock Mysteries) (Paperback):
- #3: Dead Broke in Jarrett Creek: A Samuel Craddock Mystery (Samuel Craddock Mysteries) (Paperback): $15.95
- #5: The Necessary Murder of Nonie Blake: A Samuel Craddock Mystery (Samuel Craddock Mysteries) (Paperback): $15.95
- #6: An Unsettling Crime for Samuel Craddock: A Samuel Craddock Mystery (Samuel Craddock Mysteries) (Paperback): $15.95
- #7: A Reckoning in the Back Country: A Samuel Craddock Mystery (Samuel Craddock Mysteries) (Paperback): $15.95
- #8: A Risky Undertaking for Loretta Singletary: A Samuel Craddock Mystery (Samuel Craddock Mysteries) (Paperback): $15.95
Someone is trying to kill Jenny Sandstone and she might know who it is. But how can Samuel Craddock protect her when she seems hell-bent on protecting the attempted killer's identity? Craddock has learned to accept that his neighbor and friend Jenny's personal life is strictly secret. But when her dying mother tells him that Jenny is in danger, Craddock is confronted with a dilemma. He wants to respect Jenny's privacy, but he is haunted by the urgency in the dying woman's voice. Then when Jenny is the victim of a suspicious car accident, Craddock has no choice but to get involved. He demands that she tell him what he needs to know to protect her and to solve the mysteries surrounding the strange events that began taking place as soon as Jenny’s mother passed away. Forced to confront the past, Jenny plunges into a downward spiral of rage and despair. She is drinking heavily and seems bent on self-destruction. Craddock must tread lightly as he tries to find out who is behind the threats to her. But only by getting to the bottom of the secrets buried in Jenny’s past can he hope to save her both from herself and from whoever is out to harm her.
About the Author
Terry Shames is the Macavity Award-winning author of the Samuel Craddock mysteries A Killing at Cotton Hill, The Last Death of Jack Harbin, Dead Broke in Jarrett Creek, and A Deadly Affair at Bobtail Ridge. She is also the coeditor of Fire in the Hills, a book of stories, poems, and photographs about the 1991 Oakland Hills Fire. She grew up in Texas and continues to be fascinated by the convoluted loyalties and betrayals of the small town where her grandfather was the mayor. Terry is a member of the Mystery Writers of America and Sisters in Crime.
A KILLING AT COTTON HILL - WINNER! 2014 Macavity Award for Best First Mystery
PRAISE FOR THE SAMUEL CRADDOCK MYSTERIES
“There may be no protagonist in our genre today as decently compelling as Samuel Craddock. And there may be no better chronicler of the character and complexity of small-town America than Terry Shames."
—WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER, author of the Cork O'Connor Mystery Series
“Small towns in mysteries can be too cute or too weird to be true, but Jarrett Creek is the real deal and Samuel Craddock is the jewel in its crown. Flawed, complex, decent, and captivating—spending time in this town with the Chief is a delight.”
—CATRIONA McPHERSON, author of Quiet Neighbors
"I love Samuel Craddock, I love this town, and I love this series of books.”
—TIMOTHY HALLINAN, author of the Junior Bender mysteries
“Samuel Craddock is a man readers are going to love, and they'll want to visit him and Jarrett Creek often.”
—BILL CRIDER, author of the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series
"An amazing read. The poetic, literary quality of the writing draws you into a small town and its interesting, secret-carrying residents."
—RT Book Reviews
“Shames has come up with a sleuth for the long haul.”