Backordered. Place an order and we will let you know when to expect your book.
SummaryMacRuby in Action
is a tutorial for Ruby developers who want to code for Mac OS X without learning Objective-C. You'll learn the ins and outs of the MacRuby language, including straightforward examples of creating OS X applications using Cocoa components.About the Technology
For Rubyists, it's a real drag switching to a static language like Objective-C for Mac development. Fortunately, you don't have to. MacRuby is a Ruby 1.9 implementation that sits right on the Mac OS X core. It gives you access to the Cocoa framework and easy interoperability with the Mac platform.About the BookMacRuby in Action
teaches Ruby developers how to code OS X applications in Ruby. You'll explore key Cocoa design patterns, along with a few twists that MacRuby makes possible. You'll also pick up high-value techniques including system scripting, automated testing practices, and getting your apps ready for the Mac App Store.
Written for Rubyists. No experience with Cocoa, Objective-C, or Mac OS X required.
Purchase of the print book comes with an offer of a free PDF, ePub, and Kindle eBook from Manning. Also available is all code from the book. What's Inside
Table of Contents
- Intro to Mac OS X development
- Full coverage of the Cocoa framework
- MacRuby for iOS
PART 1 STARTING WITH MACRUBY
- Introducing MacRuby
- Using Macirb and the Apple development tools
- Going beyond the basics with Xcode Interface BuilderPART 2 TAKE IT FOR A SPIN
- Using the delegate pattern
- Notifications and implementing the observer pattern
- Using key-value coding and key-value observing
- Implementing persistence with Core Data
- Core Animation basicsPART 3 MACRUBY EXTRAS
- MacRuby testing
- MacRuby and the Mac App Store