603 N. Lamar Blvd Austin, TX 78703 512-472-5050 Open 9AM - 10PM The largest independent bookstore in Texas!
ANGIE THOMAS - On the Come Up
Friday, February 15 at 7 PM
speaking and signing
On the Come Up
CLICK THE BUTTON BELOW TO PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS
- Tickets are only available via Eventbrite. Purchase now: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bookpeople-presents-angie-thomas-tickets-52505305783
- This event takes place at First Baptist Church, located at 901 Trinity St. Austin, TX. 78701
- Pre-ordered books will be given to ticket holders the day of the event. They are not available for pick-up at BookPeople prior to the event.
- A ticket+book admits one person to the event, and includes a copy of On the Come Up. It is $20.
- A 2 ticket+book admits two people to the event, and includes a copy of On the Come Up. It is $30.
- Seating is general admission; first come, first served.
- Angie will be in conversation with book reviewer and blogger Maya Smart. A signing will follow the speaking portion of the event.
- Angie will personalize 1 copy of On the Come Up, and will sign 2 other books (for a total of 3 books per person).
Please note: If you purchase a ticket and cannot attend the event, we will hold a copy of On the Come Up for you at BookPeople for 30 days after the date of the event. You may not pick up the book in advance of the event.
ABOUT ON THE COME UP
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. Or at least win her first battle. As the daughter of an underground hip hop legend who died right before he hit big, Bri’s got massive shoes to fill. But it’s hard to get your come up when you’re labeled a hoodlum at school, and your fridge at home is empty after your mom loses her job. So Bri pours her anger and frustration into her first song, which goes viral… for all the wrong reasons.
Bri soon finds herself at the center of a controversy, portrayed by the media as more menace than MC. But with an eviction notice staring her family down, Bri doesn’t just want to make it—she has to. Even if it means becoming the very thing the public has made her out to be.
Insightful, unflinching, and full of heart, On the Come Up is an ode to hip hop from one of the most influential literary voices of a generation. It is the story of fighting for your dreams, even as the odds are stacked against you; and about how, especially for young black people, freedom of speech isn’t always free.
ABOUT ANGIE THOMAS
Angie Thomas made her debut with the #1 New York Times bestselling, award-winning The Hate U Give. A former teen rapper who holds a BFA in creative writing, Angie was born, raised, and still resides in Jackson, MS. You can find her online at www.angiethomas.com.
To get a book signed at one of our events, a copy of the event book must be purchased from BookPeople. By purchasing a book from BookPeople, you are not only supporting a local, independent business, but you are also showing publishers that they should continue sending authors to BookPeople.