603 N. Lamar Blvd Austin, TX 78703 512-472-5050 Open 9AM - 11PM The largest independent bookstore in Texas!
Sunday, June 17 at 6PM
speaking and signing
- Tickets are only available via BrownPaperTickets. They are not available in-store.
- Tickets cost $28 (plus service fee) and include one copy of Calypso.
- Tickets purchased now qualify ONE person for entry to our 2nd floor event space and a spot in the signing line on June 17th. Access to the 2nd floor for the event will begin at 4pm. These tickets are limited.
- The signing line will be called in order of tickets purchased -- buying first gets you in line first.
- Books will be given to ticket holders the day of the event. They are not available for pickup at BookPeople prior to the event.
- Our first floor will be open for those who wish to listen to the event without a ticket. Those without a ticket will be able to enter the signing line at the end of the event.
- We expect this to be a late but fun night.
If you've ever laughed your way through David Sedaris's cheerfully misanthropic stories, you might think you know what you're getting with Calypso. You'd be wrong.
When he buys a beach house on the Carolina coast, Sedaris envisions long, relaxing vacations spent playing board games and lounging in the sun with those he loves most. And life at the Sea Section, as he names the vacation home, is exactly as idyllic as he imagined, except for one tiny, vexing realization: it's impossible to take a vacation from yourself.
With Calypso, Sedaris sets his formidable powers of observation toward middle age and mortality. Make no mistake: these stories are very, very funny--it's a book that can make you laugh 'til you snort, the way only family can. Sedaris's powers of observation have never been sharper, and his ability to shock readers into laughter unparalleled. But much of the comedy here is born out of that vertiginous moment when your own body betrays you and you realize that the story of your life is made up of more past than future.
This is beach reading for people who detest beaches, required reading for those who loathe small talk and love a good tumor joke. Calypso is simultaneously Sedaris's darkest and warmest book yet--and it just might be his very best.
ABOUT DAVID SEDARIS
David Sedaris is the author of the books Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, Me Talk Pretty One Day, Holidays on Ice, Naked, and Barrel Fever. He is a regular contributor to The New Yorker and BBC Radio 4. He lives in England.
If you cannot attend the event and would like to order a signed copy of the book, add the book to your cart and put SIGNED COPY in the comments field at checkout. We ship all over the world!