Event Registration & Guidelines
- Tickets are required to join this in-person event and are available exclusively through Eventbrite.
- Refunds are available up to 7 days before the event.
- Our event space will be operating at a limited capacity until further notice.
- Our check-in station will be located at the front of the store. We will scan your ticket’s barcode upon arrival.
- You will receive your copy of the book at the check-in station on the day of the event. If you can’t make it we'll save your copy at the store for up to 6 days or we can arrange to mail it. Shipping charges apply. Only available for domestic shipping.
- The event will take place on the second floor of our store.
- Doors will open at 7PM and the event will begin at 7:15PM.
- Event will run for 45-60 minutes, including story time, drawing demo, and audience Q&A.
- The author will be signing and personalizing copies of the book after the speaking portion of the event.
- We will have chairs available, but feel free to stand or move your chair around.
- Complimentary refreshments will be available on-site.
- Masks are currently required at all times and must be worn properly over the mouth and nose.
- The store will be closed at the time of the event and registers will only be open for purchase of the event book. If you need to browse, we suggest you come within our operating hours (10am-7PM).
- BookPeople reserves the right to cancel or postpone this event if covid protocols require it.
- There won’t be a live stream or recording available.
- If you have any other questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About The Last Mapmaker
From Christina Soontornvat, the visionary and versatile author of two 2021 Newbery Honor Books, comes a high-seas adventure set in a Thai-inspired fantasy world.
In a fantasy adventure every bit as compelling and confident in its world building as her Newbery Honor Book A Wish in the Dark, Christina Soontornvat explores a young woman’s struggle to unburden herself of the past and chart her own destiny in a world of secrets. As assistant to Mangkon’s most celebrated mapmaker, twelve-year-old Sai plays the part of a well-bred young lady with a glittering future. In reality, her father is a conman—and in a kingdom where the status of one’s ancestors dictates their social position, the truth could ruin her. Sai seizes the chance to join an expedition to chart the southern seas, but she isn’t the only one aboard with secrets. When Sai learns that the ship might be heading for the fabled Sunderlands—a land of dragons, dangers, and riches beyond imagining—she must weigh the cost of her dreams. Vivid, suspenseful, and thought-provoking, this tale of identity and integrity is as beautiful and intricate as the maps of old.
About Christina Soontornvat
Christina Soontornvat grew up in a small Texas town, where she spent many childhood days behind the counter of her parents’ Thai restaurant with her nose in a book. She is the author of many books for young readers, including the Newbery Honor Books A Wish in the Dark and All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys’ Soccer Team, also a Robert F. Sibert Honor Book and a YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults finalist. Christina Soontornvat lives in Austin, Texas.
About Samantha M. Clark
Samantha M. Clark is the award-winning author of THE BOY, THE BOAT, AND THE BEAST and ARROW (both published by Paula Wiseman Books/Simon & Schuster) and AMERICAN HORSE TALES: HOLLYWOOD (Penguin Workshop/Penguin Random House), as well as the GEMSTONE DRAGONS chapter book series, coming from Bloomsbury on Aug. 2, 2022. She lives with her husband and two funny dogs in Austin, Texas, where she helps other writers as the Regional Advisor for the Austin chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators.
By purchasing a book from BookPeople, you are not only supporting a local, independent business, but you are also showing publishers that they should continue sending authors to BookPeople.
Thank you for supporting Vanessa Roeder, Samantha M. Clark, and your local independent bookstore!