603 N. Lamar Blvd Austin, TX 78703 512-472-5050 Open 9AM - 10PM The largest independent bookstore in Texas!
LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON - Shout
Friday, April 5 at 6 PM
LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON
speaking and signing
CLICK THE BUTTON BELOW TO PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS
- PLEASE NOTE: This event is for mature audiences; children under the age of 13 will not be admitted.
- Tickets are required for this event. Tickets are only available via Eventbrite. Purchase now: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bookpeople-presents-laurie-halse-anderson-tickets-54889893148
- This event takes place at Central Presbyterian Church, located at 200 E 8th Street Austin, TX 78701
- General Admission Tickets: $21.61 (including fees), includes admission and 1 copy of SHOUT
- Student Tickets: $6.82 (including fees), admission only. Includes a $5 coupon towards the purchase of SHOUT at the event. Student tickets will only be honored with presentation of a valid student ID; these will be checked at the door.
- Books will be available for pick-up the night of the event. They will not be available beforehand.
- Purchase of a copy of SHOUT from BookPeople, either via a general admission ticket or at the event, is required to enter the signing line.
- Seating is first come, first served.
Please note: If you purchase a ticket and cannot attend the event, we will hold a copy of SHOUT for you at BookPeople for 30 days after the date of the event. You may not pick up the book in advance of the event.
Laurie Halse Anderson is known for the unflinching way she writes about, and advocates for, survivors of sexual assault. In 1999, her groundbreaking, award-winning novel Speak opened the door for a national dialogue about rape culture and consent. Now, twenty years later, she reveals her personal history as a rape survivor in a searing poetic memoir, SHOUT.
In free verse, Halse Anderson shares reflections, rants, and calls to action woven between deeply personal stories from her life she's never written about before. Searing and soul-searching, devastating and triumphant, SHOUT is a denouncement of our society's failures and a love letter to all the people with the courage to say #MeToo and #TimesUp, whether aloud, online, or only in their hearts.
★ “A captivating, powerful read about clawing your way out of trauma, reclaiming your body, and undoing lifetimes of lessons in order to use your voice as the weapon it is. Fervent and deafening.”—Booklist, starred review
ABOUT LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON
Laurie Halse Anderson is a New York Times bestselling author whose writing spans young readers, teens, and new adults. Combined, her books have sold more than eight million copies. She has been twice nominated for the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award. Two of her books, Speak and Chains, were National Book Award finalists, and Chains was short-listed for the prestigious Carnegie Medal. Laurie was selected by the American Library Association for the 2009 Margaret A. Edwards Award and has been honored for her battles for intellectual freedom by the National Coalition Against Censorship and the National Council of Teachers of English.
In addition to combating censorship, Laurie regularly speaks about the need for diversity in publishing and is a member of RAINN’s National Leadership Council. She lives in Philadelphia, where she enjoys cheesesteaks while she writes. Find out more about Laurie by following her on Twitter at @halseanderson, Instagram at halseanderson, Facebook at writerlady, and Pinterest at halseanderson or by visiting her website, madwomanintheforest.com.
To get a book signed at one of our events, a copy of the event book must be purchased from BookPeople. By purchasing a book from BookPeople, you are not only supporting a local, independent business, but you are also showing publishers that they should continue sending authors to BookPeople.