Sunday, October 18 at 4pm CT
LIVE ON ZOOM!
In conversation with author Kate Messner
EVENT & TICKET GUIDELINES
- Tickets are required to join this virtual event.
- There are two ticket options available for this event. Both of these options get you entry into the event. You need only pick one:
- A $5 Ticket: This gets you a zoom link for entry to the event. This option does not include a book. All you have to do is add the $5 Ticket option from below to your cart and check out as usual.
- Book: This gets you a zoom link for entry to the event AND a signed copy of All Thirteen. If you choose this option, you do not need to add the separate ticket. All you have to do is select the book from below, add to cart, and check out as usual. You will receive the zoom link to the email you provide upon checkout. NOTE: If you would like your book PERSONALIZED, please type the name you want the book personalized to in the comments field upon checkout.
- Sales for this event end on 10/18 at 2pm CT. The registration link will be included in your confirmation email, and a reminder email will be sent approx. 2 hrs before event start time.
- Digital Doors Open at 3:45pm CT
- Event Begins at 4pm CT
- NOTE: Because this is a virtual event that will be hosted on Zoom, you will need access to a computer or other device that is capable of accessing and sufficient Internet access. If you have not used Zoom before, you may consider referencing Getting Started with Zoom.
ABOUT ALL THIRTEEN
A unique account of the amazing Thai cave rescue told in a heart-racing, you-are-there style that blends suspense, science, and cultural insight.
On June 23, 2018, twelve young players of the Wild Boars soccer team and their coach enter a cave in northern Thailand seeking an afternoon’s adventure. But when they turn to leave, rising floodwaters block their path out. The boys are trapped! Before long, news of the missing team spreads, launching a seventeen-day rescue operation involving thousands of rescuers from around the globe. As the world sits vigil, people begin to wonder: how long can a group of ordinary kids survive in complete darkness, with no food or clean water? Luckily, the Wild Boars are a very extraordinary "ordinary" group. Combining firsthand interviews of rescue workers with in-depth science and details of the region's culture and religion, author Christina Soontornvat—who was visiting family in Northern Thailand when the Wild Boars went missing—masterfully shows how both the complex engineering operation above ground and the mental struggles of the thirteen young people below proved critical in the life-or-death mission. Meticulously researched and generously illustrated with photographs, this page-turner includes an author’s note describing her experience meeting the team, detailed source notes, and a bibliography to fully immerse readers in the most ambitious cave rescue in history.
ABOUT CHRISTINA SOONTORNVAT
Christina Soontornvat is the author of several books for young readers, including The Blunders, illustrated by Colin Jack, and the middle-grade fantasy novel A Wish in the Dark. She holds a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering and a master’s in science education. Christina Soontornvat lives with her family in Austin, Texas.
ABOUT THE MODERATOR: KATE MESSNER
Kate Messner is the author of The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z. She teaches junior high in New York, where she lives with her husband and two children.
Thank you for supporting Christina Soontornvat and your local independent bookstore!