603 N. Lamar Blvd Austin, TX 78703 | The largest independent bookstore in Texas!
VIRTUAL EVENT: MEENA HARRIS - Kamala & Maya's Big Idea
Monday, June 8 at 3pm CDT
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea
In conversation with journalist & author Nancy Redd
LIVE ON ZOOM!
EVENT & TICKET GUIDELINES
- Tickets are required to join this virtual event.
- There are two ticket options available for this event. Both of these options get you entry into the event:
- A $5 Ticket: This gets you a zoom link for entry to the event. This option does not include a book. All you have to do is add the $5 Ticket option from below to your cart and check out as usual.
- Book: This gets you a zoom link for entry to the event AND a copy of Kamala and Maya's Big Idea. If you choose this option, you do not need to add the separate ticket. All you have to do is select the book from below, add to cart, and check out as usual. You will receive the zoom link to the email you provide upon checkout.
- The Zoom link will be sent to the email you provided by the day of the event
- Digital Doors Open at 2:45pm CDT
- Event Begins at 3pm CDT
- Because this is a virtual event that will be hosted on Zoom, you will need access to a computer or other device that is capable of accessing and sufficient Internet access. If you have not used Zoom before, you may consider referencing Getting Started with Zoom.
NOTE: If you order a copy of Kamala and Maya's Big Idea from BookPeople by June 1st, you can get a free Phenomenal Girl t-shirt! After completing your order, visit www.PhenomenalGirl.com. Click on the "free t-shirt" button in the top menu. This will take you to a form where you will fill out your information to verify your purchase from BookPeople!
ABOUT KAMALA AND MAYA'S BIG IDEA
“A must read for little girls around the world.”
—Elizabeth Warren, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts
“An inspiring tale.”
—Stacey Abrams, Former Minority Leader, Georgia House of Representatives; Founder and Chair, Fair Fight Action
“I love this book.”
—Megan Rapinoe, Co-Captain, U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team
Meena Harris debuts with an empowering picture book about two sisters who work with their community to effect change, inspired by a true story from the childhood of her aunt, US Senator Kamala Harris, and mother, lawyer, and policy expert Maya Harris.
One day, Kamala and Maya had an idea. A big idea: they would turn their empty apartment courtyard into a playground!
This is the uplifting tale of how the author’s aunt and mother first learned to persevere in the face of disappointment and turned a dream into reality. This is a story of children’s ability to make a difference and of a community coming together to transform their neighborhood.
ABOUT MEENA HARRIS
Meena Harris was born into a family of strong women whose legacy continues to inspire her. Her grandmother, Shyamala Gopalan, was a cancer researcher and civil rights activist; her mother, Maya Harris, is a lawyer and policy expert; and her aunt, Kamala Harris, is a United States senator from California. Meena herself is a lawyer and entrepreneur. In 2017 she founded the Phenomenal Woman Action Campaign, a female-powered organization that brings awareness to social causes. She currently resides in San Francisco with her partner and two daughters.
ABOUT THE MODERATOR: NANCY REDD
Nancy Redd is an award-winning on-air host, a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, a two-time Mom's Choice Award winner, an NAACP Image Award nominee for outstanding literary work, a New York Times columnist, and a GLAAD Media Award nominee for outstanding digital journalism. Called "the perfect combination of style and substance" by Essence magazine, Nancy holds an honors degree in women's studies from Harvard University. Bedtime Bonnet was inspired by the lack of resources Nancy faced when she introduced a bonnet to her daughter's nighttime routine.
Thank you for supporting Meena Harris and your local independent bookstore!